Monday 8 April 2013

Sewing the Seeds of Spring

So, remember last week, when I said I started some seeds for my garden? Well, this is what that looks like:


Garden 2013...The Beginning



Ok, so that's just the lid of the planter box.  With some condensation on it.  I keep it in my greenhouse, which isn't heated, but seems to be working out just fine.  I've had a lot of people look at me sideways when I've told them that I've started seeds already. I was planning on starting the garden...yes, really starting..radishes, beets and the like.  However, I ran out of time.  Do you believe that? I wouldn't...haha. I had plans, but they went by the wayside. Time was never really a factor, but it sounded good...

This made things a whole lot better



Garden 2013...The Sprouting

 
 
Do you know what else I found? I found fruit.  The beginnings of fruit, anyway.  In my greenhouse! Strawberries...mmmmmm...strawberries...Everbearing strawberries!
 



 
They produce sweet little fruits all summer long.  I got the plants from Cathy and Dave at Eco GardensIf you've never been there, you should go! They have an awesome centre, grown without a lot of chemical intervention. Lots of their product is tucked away under a canopy of trees, making it feel like you're shopping in the forest.  I love it there! Oh, and they have a Great Dane, named Morgan.  She's soooo cool.  Get your photo taken with her! She's truly a gentle giant.
 
The Other Half plucked some strawberry plants from where they're creeping under our fence from our neighbour's place.  Shhhh...don't tell! Perhaps they'll bear fruit for us this year.
 
 


Can't you just smell it? Spring? The freshness of the earth and the greening of the grass? Today's forecast is rain...I love the smell of spring rain.  Do you smell it too? The rain, I mean.  I can smell rain coming in.  That gets a "look" from the Other Half.  Can you tell he thinks I'm a bit strange? The thing is, is he thinks he's normal.  HA! What he doesn't know....
 
One more thing to show you....
 
 



Hosta sprouts.  Yes.  Hostas.  It's early April, and I have Hosta sprouts! It's official...Winter is OVER!

What does your garden look like? Have you started your seeds yet? It's getting on time! I haven't forgotten about my little surprise, either.  I'm just waiting for it to make an appearance.  And then you'll see...
 


 
 
 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment